Blog Archive

Friday, October 22, 2010

Fresh Pear Cake, Carrot Cake and Italian Cream Cheese Cake

This picture was taken during a Holland family reunion in the 70's. I think it is in Granny's back yard on the Cottonwood Highway. Pictured L to R Lena Mae Pitts, Bertha Holland and Naomi Avery. Three Sisters happy to be together.


 Aunt Jeanette's Fresh Pear Cake. This was addressed to Granny September 13, 2000.


Aunt Ruby and Bertha had a huge pear tree in their yard and Uncles Elmire and Ernest had pear trees too. There were always lots of pears going around.  :) Personally I love them.
I am sure there is a recipe for pear preserves in Granny's recipes. I will search for it and pass it on to you soon. I am guessing that golden raisins might taste good in this recipe. I thought I might try it with those and soak them in a little rum before I mix them in. I am also going to glaze it and add a little rum or rum extract to the glaze of confectioners sugar.  I will let you know how it turns out. Wade likes rum cake, but isn't big on fruit cooked. I am always looking for ways to tempt him to eat fruit!


This is a copy of Granny's Carrot Cake recipe.  Great recipe. Wesson oil is a brand of vegtable oil.

Italian Cream Cheese Cake




These recipes were passed through the family. We could always count on at least 1 or 2 for a big get together.
The Italian Cream Cheese recipe calls for oleo and solid vegetable shortening. Oleo is the same thing as margarine. I think best results and flavor will probably come from using room temperature unsalted butter.
Crisco brand Solid vegetable shortening was always Granny's choice.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

I cannot make out the first ingredient on the list of the Italian Cream Cake. What is it?

Thanks

Kaye Everett said...

Hi the first ingredient listed is Oleo. I use unsalted butter.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I love old recipes! Do you know how many eggs should be in the Carrot Cake? Thanks!

Kaye Everett said...

Hi I use 4 eggs for the Carrot Cake. It's a really good recipe.
I have substituted apple sauce for the oil and that worked out good too.

Julia said...

Hi Kaye- I was just researching older recipes for Italian Cream Cheese cakes. I have an old recipe that calls for a stick of margarine- I see that you shared you use unsalted butter instead of Oleo- I am going to try that.
Thanks for sharing- I haven't made this cake in over 15 years! I want to try the carrot cake with applesauce. Sounds delicious- I loved the picture of the three of them.
Julia

Unknown said...

Hi! Is that Lena Mae Pitts, wife of Clyde W. Pitts, by any chance? If so, she would be my great grand mother. I have been looking hi & lo for a picture of her for years.