Blog Archive

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thoughts for Today.

Pearl Buck is one of my favorite authors. She recieved the Pulitzert prize in 1932  for The Good Earth. I am reading this book now, along with her biography.

I wanted to share with you a quote from her book entitled My Mother's House. 

" What I inherited from my mother is inside me. I love people too easily, as she did. But then my first memory is of love. To be able to think back, as I can, to feel one's way back to the first moment of the new life outside the womb, and to remember as I do, nothing but love, overwhelming love, provides the atmoshpere for one's whole life. So loved for one's self, one loves in return, easily and richly-and sometimes too often or faithfully. For this gift of loving, I thank my beloved mother."

This is a poem Pearl Buck wrote during the latter part of her life.

"Essence"   

I give you the books I've made.
Body and soul, bled and flayed.
Yet the essence they contain
In one poem is made plain,
In one poem is made clear:
On this earth, though far or near,
Without love there's only fear.

by Pearl Buck

Hope you have a good day!

No comments: