Blog Archive

Monday, December 13, 2010

Fresh Florida Oranges!




Somewhere along Indian River in the late 40's. I love this picture I found in Granny's box! Zoom in and see the people and fruit lined up on the ground. This is how they shipped alot of fruit to packing houses from the groves. Barges came up the river to load the fruit and take it to a packing house set up to pack the fruit for interstate shipping by truck.


I'm not sure who this little guy is. But he is a cutie! A distant cousin or uncle I guess.
 My Great Grandfather, Henry Sims, lived in South Florida in the Ruskin Area. This was my Granny's father. He moved there after seperating from my Great Grandmother in the late 40's. I know the least about his family. I am now beginning to gather more information. He has a nephew, the son of his youngest brother still living in Ruskin. I am contacting him today if possible, to ask if he has any family information. 

Henry is the tallest and we may assume the oldest child in this family portrait. Houston, Henry's brother, is pictured on my Great Great Grandmother Sims lap. I don't know the other brothers and sisters. I met Uncle Houston in Ruskin. He farmed tomatoes there.

My Great Grandfather Henry was raised in Jackson County Florida, close to where my Dad's farm is now. I believe they lived somewhere between Marianna and Graceville, Florida.
I don't know what happened to my Great Great Grandfather who is absent in this picture. I don't know his name either.....I hope this oldest living cousin can help fill in the blanks a little.






 
Henry and Eddie Sims. Henry's only son. Eddie did not have any children. He worked for the Barnum and Bailey circus for a while as a driver. He also worked for Johnny's United Shows, who was the featured attraction for the National Peanut Festival in the 60's. This picture was taken in Granny's living room around 1968.





No comments: